The Best Graduation Gifts
Are you wondering what to give to the graduate in your life? There are so many ideas out there. I asked my older son who graduated from high school 2 years ago which of his graduation gifts he appreciated the most and/or has used the most.
We also asked 12 other recent graduates, both guys and girls. Here is what we found out with direct quotes about their favorites… *This post may contain affiliate links. This means , at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click the link and make a purchase.
1. Money or gift cards to local eateries- “Who doesn’t love free money and food?!”
2. College hat or sweatshirt- “Great to already have when I got to school.”
3. Shower caddy filled with supplies- “I liked having a caddy already filled so I didn’t have to think about it.” This would take a little research to find out their favorite brands to fill it with, but such a useful gift!
4. MacBook– “My mom got this for me. I have used it every single day for college and jobs.” A bit more of an expensive gift, but all students will need some sort of computer.
5. Headphones- “I wish that I had asked for these when I graduated. I had to buy them myself later.”
6. Microwave- “Have used everyday in my dorm and then my rental house because it didn’t have one.”
7. Sit up pillow- “I didn’t think that I would use this thing, but I did, and my friends all wanted one once they saw mine!”
8. Amazon Prime- “This has been great for ordering books and watching movies when I probably should have been studying. But, my grades have been good, so I guess it’s okay.”
9. Game- “My brothers gave me this game. It’s been fun out on our campus lawn. Taking to my frat next year.”
10. External battery charger- “This thing is great. I always have it in my backpack. Been a couple of times that I was really glad I had it!”
1. Money or gift cards to local eateries- “I love to eat out when I don’t have to pay for it! Here is a great blog post by Southernly Splendid with fun and creative ways to gift with money!
2. Keurig- “Can’t. Live. Without!” Great for coffee of course, but also hot chocolate, hot tea, soup…
3. Toolbox with little handy items such as: hammer, screwdriver, tape, different sizes of batteries… “I didn’t think that this was a good gift, but almost every week either I have used this or a friend has!” Since this is a soft-sided bag, lot’s of other little things could be added like batteries, tape, string, Command hooks, even a deck of cards!
4. Monogrammed towels- “I love my pretty towels. I got them in my school colors, and I still use them.” This takes a little time, but I know even my son loves his!
5. Overnight/gym bag- “I had a bag already, so this was great because I could dedicate one for the gym, and then I had one to pack real quick to go away for a weekend!” Bags are great because they can always use them for extra storage in small dorm rooms or apartments as well.
6. Lapdesk- “I never had one of these before, and I always wanted one. I use it all the time although not always for studying. I do my nails and even eat on it when we order food.”
7. Water bottle- “I got 3 of these, and I use them all the time. When one is dirty, I grab another!”
8. Toiletry bag- “I love that it lies flat, but then scoops up all of my stuff. It’s great to grab for running to my friend’s for the night or a weekend trip.”
9. Pretty jewelry- “My grandma got me a pretty bracelet that said, ‘Love you to the moon and back’. I wear it all the time.” You can never go wrong with jewelry!
10. Catch-all dish- “My sister got a great little dish for her room that is great for keys, glasses etc. I wanted one, too, so I ordered one myself for my dresser. I can’t wait to take it to college.”
Graduation gift research done for you!
We hope our guide helps with these next few weeks full of high school and college-ending events. It’s an exciting time for our kids, and the graduation gifts on this list will give them a head start with their new life!
Good luck shopping, and let us know if you have any other good ideas.
P.S. My son just got the best little book for graduation, and I had to share the link with you all! It’s called Assume the Worst The Graduation Speech You Will Never Hear by Carl Hiaason and illustrated by Roz Chast. It is really great! It cuts through to the heart of what kids really need to hear about life in a hilarious way, and the pics are great. Grab one for your favorite graduate:)
Other gift guides that we have written: